Jakarta, 23 Feb 2018 – Dubai Business Events (DBE) secured a total of 212 bids throughout 2017, representing its most successful year to date.
Dubai is set to welcome an additional 95,000 delegates, delivering an economic impact tof approximately AED 715 million moving forward.
Dubai submitted a total of 354 bids throughout 2017, and among the wins were those for bids submitted before 2017.
At the end of the year, 104 bid submissions were still awaiting decision.
The bids and proposals secured in 2017 mark an increase of 64% over 2016 when a total of 129 bids were won.
This success also comes as DBE celebrates its 15th anniversary as Dubai’s official convention bureau.
Since its establishment in 2003, DBE has been pivotal in shaping the city’s world-class business events offering.
Issam Kazim, Chief Executive Officer of Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing, said it showcased Dubai’s role as a leading hub.
“The exponential increase in bids won in 2017 is a direct reflection of Dubai’s rapid growth as a leading business hub.
“2017’s success in attracting international business events builds on the steady growth the city has experienced.
“This establishes Dubai as a destination of choice for business events from around the globe..” he said.
These successes have been made possible due to the close collaboration with our stakeholders and partners, who play a crucial role in realising Dubai’s strategic objectives.
He said International and regional business events not only contribute to the growth in overall visitor numbers to Dubai.
They also play an important role in the development of our knowledge economy.
Key bid wins from 2017 include the Baby Care Annual Incentive, with an expected attendance of 1,500 delegates, as well as the Amway Russia Annual Incentive.
The Amway Russia will bring 2,700 employees to Dubai; both business events are set to take place in 2018.
Steen Jakobsen, Director of Dubai Business Events, said: “Propelled by our successes to date, we are looking forward to hosting a number of significant events in the city over the next few years.
“The strength of Dubai as a business events destination and knowledge hub is proven year-on-year, and our performance in 2017 has raised the bar.
“Our strategy is aligned with Dubai Tourism’s Vision 2020 to attract 20 million visitors to the emirate, per year, by the year 2020 and our goal is to build on this momentum to transport the city’s reputation to new heights.”
Other notable wins in 2017 include:
- The International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Geospatial Week in 2019
- The 71st edition of the International Astronautical Congress with an expected attendance of 5,000 delegates in 2020,
Dubai Activities for Conference Attendees and Delegates
- Desert Safari: No trip to Dubai is complete if you haven’t been on a desert safari. Enjoy dune bashing, camel riding, and sand skiing throughout the afternoon, and end the day with a delicious Arabic barbecue dinner as entertainers put on a fantastic show under the stars.
- Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding: There is no better way to experience Dubai’s rich heritage than to visit the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding. With an aim to reach out to and educate expats and visitors about the traditions and customs of the UAE, the Centre is certainly a must-visit when in Dubai.
- Gold Souq: This bustling traditional market is home to over 300 gold and jewellery retailers. It is hard to miss the glimmer of gold shining through each nook and corner at the Gold Souq.
- Spice Souq: The aroma of spices will invigorate your senses the minute you arrive at the Spice Souq. Home to a wide range of spices, herbs and even traditional incense, the Spice Souq is one of Dubai’s oldest markets.
- Seawings Seaplane Tour: One way to experience Dubai’s scenic views is from above. Seawings Seaplane tours offer a bird’s eye view of the city and its beautiful coastline.